Friday, July 10, 2009

Casual Christianity

When I go to a religious bookstore, I scan a lot of books while I'm there. That helps me keep up with religious trendy thinking. I saw a book by George Barna (the poll guy) titled The Seven Tribes. It was a book dividing all religious thinking into seven tribe families, one of which was casual christianity. On p. 42, he equated casual christianity with the biblical example of the Laodicean church (rather an interesting concept). He noted those in casual christianity failed to make God a priority, lack love for those that do not agree with them, embrace nonbiblical teaching, tolerate sexual immorality, ignore sin and have only a superficial faith. He concludes that casual christianity falls way below biblical standards. These remarks are not an exact quote, but from notes I took while in the bookstore. I got the gist right. I'm always surprised when someone in print (non ABA writer) makes a statement I agree with.
God was not casual about man's need of a Savior, the command about altar building, Moses' need to take off his shoes at the burning bush, the high priest wearing his accouterments for official duties (can you imagine him in laced up boots, jeans and a casual shirt?), true worship being both spiritual and according to truth, scriptural baptism (a form we might call casual baptism is alien immersion), the Lord's Supper (casual communion would be open), the inspired Word of God preserved by God (casual Bible - new versions) the need for Jesus to shed His blood and die, etc.
Casual christianity is all about reinventing worship - I can best express it in terms of "roll your own." Some cigarette smokers in the 1960's still bought papers, filled one with loose tobacco and rolled their own cigarettes. Some were pretty shabby looking - fat, thin, crooked. We might conclude casual christianity is pretty shabby looking compared to true worship in spirit and in truth.

13 comments:

  1. "I'm always suprised [sic] when someone in print (non ABA writer) makes a statement I agree with."

    Why are you so surprised? Do you not read a great many truths in commentaries by false religion's writers? What about the overwhelming majority of hymns written by false religion's authors which contain great truths? While I know each false-religion is off on something, or many things, they may still produce a great book full of truth on something they are right on. For example, some religion that teaches against modern spiritual gifts may write a GREAT book against spiritual gifts, yet be off on baptism or salvation even. The book can be full of truth (and even contain no errors depending on its size) and be written by someone who doesn't know the whole truth.

    I like the rest of your post, I just wonder why you are so surprised by false-religion containing some truth. After all, isn't that how Satan works? If he tells the truth on some things, you may believe the lies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how Satan works, but it is often like finding a needle in a haystack. That's why I'm so suprised. I did find a very good book by a COC about following the pattern by Goebel Music (isn't that a crock - a COC whose name is Music? BTW, I also knew one whose name was Boring.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what religion is Dwight J. Pentecost who writes great books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro. James,

    I would find it next to impossible to call a book great if they are wrong on salvation, baptism, security of the believer, church, etc.

    However, I would not necessarily call a book bad simply because it is not from an ABA author, either. Many independent Baptists hold to very similar beliefs as we do, even identifying themselves as Landmark Baptists. One thing we differ on is our view on pastoral leadership which is a VERY important issue. I really enjoyed the post earlier on Faithway Baptists. We disagree on the issue of footwashing, but to me that would not be a test of fellowship. One does not have to agree with me 100%, but just on the essentials. 9 out of 10 times, though, I would most likely favor sticking to ABA authors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J. Dwight Pentecost is Presbyterian according to Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to be like a smart cow when reading religious books - eat good, don't eat weeds. There is a great book on evangelism reprinted and updated, one of the best I have ever read. It is Concentric Circles of Concerm by Thompson. It focuises on relationship evangelism and opportunitites at certain human experiences like birth of a baby, death, marriage, etc. when people whould be more tender to hear the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kinda understand the point of view, too, that one advantage to reading other authors is to be able to see their point of view (1 Corinthians 9:22), so that you might be better able to defend the truth. However, I still have a hard time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading a GREAT and WONDERFUL book called "Idiot's Guide to Judaism". It is helping me to understand the truth (about Judaism.) After all, the Bible contains heresies within its pages, simply b/c it records accurately. What I mean is, if you want to know how to do the Lord's Supper incorrectly, read 1 Corinthians 11. If you'd like to know how to use spiritual gifts incorrectly, read 1 Corinthians 12-14. If you'd like to learn how to follow the wrong God, read Genesis 3.

    Books CAN contain truth ABOUT heresies, and still be very beneficial. By the way, the Idiot's Guide to Judaism is really helping me understand the views the Jews hold/held which cause/caused them to reject Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty careful if I know they couldn't find a NT church with both hands and a flashlight. If they get the church wrong, you can count on them to be wrong about the HS

    ReplyDelete
  10. The title of your "indefenseoflandmarkism" page says we discuss "... Current Events, Sports, and Whatever Else!". We've failed my friends, we've failed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope have not "Whatever else" covers it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The title mentions theology and landmarkism, but since we haven't discussed the current events, sports or whatever else, we've neglected part of what we were intended to do on this web site. We've only been fulfilling part of the not-as-great commission (:-p) given by brother young landmarker to speak on all these issues. We've covered the theology or landmarkism part, but not the other parts. That's like witnessing and not baptizing, it just isn't right. LoL. When are we going to get to the other "weightier matters" (Matthew 23:23)?

    ReplyDelete