Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sonata or Accord?

I had an accident and totaled my Honda Civic about 2 weeks ago. I have been doing some investigating on the internet about a car to replace it. My sister used to sale Hondas and highly recommends the Honda Accord, her biggest compliment being the high resale value. She is down on the Hyundai make because of its past bad reputation and past poor resale value.

However, comparing the features of the two cars I see that the Hyundai Sonata is very economically priced and its features really give you a bang for your buck. Also, Hyundai has a reputation for being a very safe vehicle. The 2011 redesigned model has really improved in its fuel economy and is tops in the midsize class. It is also very aesthetic in its style. I really am leaning toward the Sonata but don't want to disappoint my sister, especially since she is working very hard at her old dealership to get me a good deal. What would be your advice?

7 comments:

  1. I checked Kelly Blue Book for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS with 53,301 miles (which was my Civic's reading when I wrecked it), and sure enough, the retail value (used by insurance companies to settle total losses) would be $14,105. My Civic LX Coupe was worth $15,545. A 2009 Honda LX Sedan would retail for $19,200.

    I'm putting down $4,000. Would that be enough to cover initial depreciation or should I still purchase GAP insurance? I wish I had for the Civic since I put no money down and financed for 72 mos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Younglandmarker,
    Sorry to hear you lost your car. My "advice" would be whatever you purchase find a good used (pre-owned if you prefer) one with low miles. There are many good cars out there if you are diligent you can find what you are looking for at a price you will enjoy more than a new car. You mentioned resale value. Are you buying this car in order to sell it? Personally I do not like buying vehicles I drive them until...I only purchased my wife a new "used" car a couple of years ago b/c my mechanic said "Mr. Alderman please buy your wife a new car!" I have found if you take care of them they will last.

    Hope this helps!
    Blessings
    James E Alderman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro. James,

    I have decided to go with a new, although 2010 Accord. I plan to keep it for awhile but want to get good value when I do go to trade it in. After 5 years, Kelly says I can still get $7600 for it. The overwhelming consensus is that Hyundais are at first nice and good, but in the end will not be reliable and will depreciate really fast. Have considered one with low miles before, but so far have been able to get something new. Since I am getting a big help in paying off the debt on the other car and a down payment, I will be "right side up" from now on in financing and will be able for sure to get new ones from now on. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read on Yahoo! News that Sonata is having a recall because of a steering problem that could cause loss or reduction of control. Guess my decision is made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should probably get that thing that if you total your car, pay it off. It seems like a little extra unneeded expense, but definitely worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. James,

    I went yesterday to Kingwood (Houston) and got a new 2010 Basque Red Pearl (burgundy) Honda Accord LX Sedan. And I did get the GAP insurance this time and an excellent extended warranty (6 yrs, 120,000 miles bumper-to-bumper).

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6 years is probably all you'll get out of 120K miles as a preacher anyway. Sounds like a great thing.

    ReplyDelete